Motor Vehicle Surcharges in New Jersey | Traffic Lawyer Hamilton, NJ
A Motor Vehicle Surcharge is a fine assessed by the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System. If you accrue more than a certain number of Motor Vehicle Points or have been convicted of specific traffic offenses such as Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving While Suspended, you will be assessed a Surcharge. An experienced Hamilton traffic lawyer can help you contest the ticket and avoid license suspension.
Below is a list of the specific Surcharges and amounts assessed by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for specific offenses.
Motor Vehicle Points in New Jersey
If you accrue at least 6 points within 3 years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 Surcharge, plus $25 for each additional point. A points-based Surcharge can result in a Surcharge for 3 years.
Other Violations That Cause Surcharges in Mercer County, NJ
- $100 for unlicensed driver or driver with expired license ($300 total)
- $250 for driving with a suspended license ($750 total)
- $100 for failure to insure a moped ($300 total)
- $250 for operating an uninsured vehicle ($750 total)
- $1,000 for first and second Driving While Intoxicated Conviction (DWI) ($3,000 total)
- $1,500 third DWI Conviction (if it occurs within three years last offense) ($4,500 total)
- $1,000 for Refusal ($3,000 total)
Free Consultation with an Experienced Trenton Traffic Ticket Attorney
Worried about losing your license due to having too many points on your license? Concerned about expensive Motor Vehicle Commission surcharges? Aydelotte & Scardella Law LLC can help you. Call 609-250-9881 or fill out the online contact form today.